Part 1 of the Raising Your Japanese Akita Puppy in Urban and Suburban America Series
What are puppy developmental deadlines?
Dr. Ian Dunbar is a veterinarian who pioneered the world’s very first off-leash puppy socialization and training classes more than 30 years ago. Back in the early 1980s, most dog classes only taught repetitive on-leash obedience drills. SIRIUS® emphasized the importance of teaching bite inhibition, early socialization, temperament training, and simple solutions for common and predictable behavior problems, as well as basic household manners. Referencing BEFORE You Get Your Puppy from Dr. Dunbar’s SIRIUS® Dog Training, there are six development deadlines in puppyhood:
- Your Doggy Education (before searching)
- Evaluating Puppy’s Progress (before selection)
- Errorless Housetraining (before homecoming)
- Socialization with People (by 12 weeks of age)
- Bite Inhibition (by 18 weeks of age)
- Preventing Adolescent Problems (by five months)
You can download the SIRIUS® Dog Training material for free at:
I also highly recommend the following books:
- The Puppy Primer by Dr. Patricia B. McConnell
- Perfect Puppy in 7 Days: How to Start Your Puppy off Right by Dr. Sophia Yin
Both the SIRIUS® Publication “AFTER You Get Your Puppy” and Dr. Sophia Yin’s “Perfect Puppy in 7 Days” set the expectation of what is possible for you to accomplish with a normal, healthy puppy. Ideally, you’ll have read both books cover to cover before your pup comes home, and realize a new puppy takes a lot of time and planning!
Next Section: Before Your Pup Arrives